Toone Tours Tombs
Explore San Miguel de Allende’s oldest and still active cemetery to enjoy:
- Why San Miguel de Allende is the epicenter for both the cult of the cross and witchcraft
- How we bring back the deceased for yet one more fiesta
- What happens if your future tomb taxes are unpaid
- The art and folklore of the cemetery
- How the Mexican view of death affects your daily life
- What makes our cemetery unique
The tour is led by Joseph Toone, author of the best-selling Day of the Dead book in the series San Miguel de Allende’s Secrets and our top ranked tour guide by TripAdvisor. Toone starred in the documentary explaining Day of the Dead aired throughout China. The irony of someone from the US explaining Day of the Dead, in English, and in Mexico, to a Chinese audience was not lost on him.
The walking is flat with plenty of places to sit, perhaps on a crypt. The tour normally lasts about 1.5 hours costing 500 pesos or 25 USD (whichever is easier for you). Tours are being held before Day of the Dead so you’ll know what you’ll be experiencing yet enjoy the cemetery when not lined with wall to wall people, dead or alive. On November first and second tours will be at limited to early in the morning to be respectful to the personal expressions of faith and mourning on the cemetery’s most active and fiesta-filled days later that morning.