Valle de Maiz Fiesta Tour
Each year the month-long festival of the cross ends in the neighborhood of Valle de Maiz with a big bang including, this year, your guide dancing on stage with two fans (the cooling devices, many more fans in the audience!). The cast of characters featured in the Valle de Maiz tour includes:
- The Chichimecas and Conquistadors – how their Battle of the Barbicans in in 1530 changed town forever
- The Sacred Cross – why the oldest crosses around town host lavish parties
- Locos – crazy folks known for their dancing
- Mojigangas – the paper mache puppets that grace local weddings
- Martha’s Dragon – or King Kong and Beauty and the Beast come to town
- Retablos – appreciating miracles, including cyber-bulling and bad credit, in art
A group of dancers from the town of Acambaro in the southern part of the state end the show by tossing out the bread their town is famous for. Left for a day or two, it forms the basis for great French toast.
Along with dancers the Valle de Maiz fiesta features food, games, music and battle reenactments between the Chichimecas and Conquistadors. Hard to say who will win!
The Valle de Maiz festival continues to be my favorite fiesta in a town well known for its parties! The tour is mildly strenuous taking about an hour and a half of uphill walking through our oldest neighborhoods and ending at Valle de Maiz’ fiesta. The cost is 500 pesos or 25 USD, whatever is easier for you and starts from in front of the Oratorio at 5PM, Saturday, June first.